A programme of study aimed at those who wish to gain a specialist Level 3 vocational qualification in the Computing, Digital, and IT sectors, for progression to Employment, Apprenticeships or Higher Education.
For learners who have recently been in education, the profile is likely to include one of the following:
- A BTEC Level 2 qualification in IT in a related vocational area
- A standard of literacy and numeracy supported by a general education equivalent to four GCSEs at grade 9-4
- Other related Level 2 qualifications
- AS level qualifications in the appropriate sector
- Related work experience
More mature learners may present a more varied profile of achievement that is likely to include experience of paid and/or unpaid employment. Applicants must be aware that if students do not have a GCSE Grade 4 or above in Maths and/or English, then they will have to undertake further study in these subjects as part of their programme of study in addition to the main 'core' qualification.
- As well as attending college to complete a qualification in your chosen area of study at L3 you will also be expected to attend a real work place environment, which allows you to explore the vocational area fully. This work experience will be for 30 hours over the academic year and is an essential part of your qualification. Staff will discuss this with you further at interview.
Specialisms can be developed from the units on offer such as:
- Information Technology Systems and Cyber Security and Incident Management, which build an understanding of modern systems, communication and networks, and threats to data and their prevention, in an increasingly growing area of demand for jobs in the IT Sector and Cyber Security Solutions.
- Programming and Computer Games Development aim to prepare students for Software Solutions and Gaming industries
- Creating systems to Manage Information, Data Modelling, IT Project Management and Using Social Media in Business Units provide an understanding of modern digital business, planning and organisational structures for future entrepreneurs and Data Management
- IT Technical Support and Management and IT Service Delivery, aim to prepare you for work in IT Technical Support industries
The BTEC RQF Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT is validated by Pearson Edexcel and respected by employers.
Through a combination of practical experience, exams and written assignments, these vocational qualifications provide Level 3 learners with the knowledge, skills and understanding needed for a career in the sector or to enter Higher Education.
Assessment during and at the end of each module is classroom/home or exam room based. Units are either externally set (exam) or internally assessed and marked against Edexcel set criteria. Each unit is graded at either Pass, Merit or Distinction with an overall grade awarded on the successful completion of all modules.
On completion of the course, students can progress to Higher Education or seek employment.
The college will recruit learners to BTEC qualifications with integrity. It is expected that students will make every effort to attend all sessions. Students must have a commitment to completing the course. Those with work and/or family commitments should be aware of the duration of the course and the need to attend all classes.
The college will take appropriate steps to assess each applicant's potential and make a professional judgement about their ability to complete the programme of study successfully and achieve the qualification. This will include ensuring that applicants have appropriate information and advice about the qualification and that the qualification will meet their needs.