This course is for people with limited or no experience of operating a 360 degree tracked excavator (novice), experienced workers who require training (refresher) and experienced workers who do not require training (test only).
CSCS Health and Safety test passed no more than two years prior to the course start date.
- Gaining a basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and the responsibilities as a plant operator.
- Learning a working knowledge of the manufacturer's handbook for the particular machine to be used.
- Being able to locate and identify the major components of the machine and explain their functions.
- Being able to locate and identify steering, driving and braking controls and explain their functions.
- Identifying and maintaining PPE appropriate for excavator use.
- Conducting all pre-operational checks in accordance with manufacturer's and legislative requirements.
- Safely mounting and dismounting the machine.
- Starting and stopping the engine and safely moving the machine off and stopping it safely.
- Configuring the machine for travel and manoeuvring it safely across varying terrain in open and confined areas.
- Conducting all necessary safety checks at the work area.
- Manoeuvring the machine to the work area and correctly configuring in readiness to carry out excavating tasks.
- Carrying out excavating tasks.
- Loading material onto transporting vehicles or into containers.
- Reinstating excavation, grade and level ground.
- Fitting and removing attachments.
- Carrying out all end of shift and shut down procedures.
Training includes a mix of classroom-based theory and practical activities.
NPORS/CSCS Plant Operator Card
As a partner card scheme of CSCS, the NPORS/CSCS Operator Card will now be issued in line with the requirements stipulated by BUILD UK and will display the CSCS logo. The NPORS/CSCS cards that are available: Trained Operator Card (red) - This card remains valid for two years, during which the operator complete the relevant NVQ for the categories held on their card. Competent Operator Card (blue) - this card is only available to those operatores who have achieved the relevant NVQ qualification for the categories held on their card. Traditional NPORS Card - If the CSCS logo is not required on the NPORS Card, then the Traditional NPORS card is also available.
Upon successful completion of the training and assessment, the operator will receive a 5 year card, which is renewable. This card can be endorsed with a Health, Safety & Environmental test, if the operator has passed the relevant test within the last 2 year period. The card can still be awarded without the H, S&E logo, if the operator does not have this test.