Adults (aged 16+) wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness sector as gym-based fitness instructors.
Some experience of gym-based exercises, including free weights, is highly recommended
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary
- There is also an element of communication (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) involved and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 2
- Reflect on and develop own practice in providing exercise and physical activity
- Promote health, safety and welfare in active leisure and recreation
- Work with clients to help them to adhere to exercise and physical activity
- Plan and prepare gym-based exercise
- Instruct and supervise gym-based exercise
- Client interview
- Theory papers
This qualification provides progression to Level 2 NVQ Certificate in Instructing Exercise and Fitness, for learners who wish to develop and demonstrate occupational competence in gym instruction.
Alternatively, it provides progression to Level 3 qualifications in Personal Training for learners who wish to further their knowledge and skills and become personal trainers working with specialist populations as well as the general population.
Learners may also progress on to the Active IQ Level 3 Certificate in Sports Massage, where they will be provided with the knowledge and skills to practice sports massage alongside gym instructing in the health club environment.
Learners may also broaden their knowledge and skills by progressing to Level 2 qualifications in Instructing Circuits, Exercise to Music and Aqua.
Students must make every effort to attend all sessions, those with work or family commitments should be aware of the need to attend all classes for the duration of the course.