Students are expected to enter the course with at least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above. It is expected students have GCSE Maths and GCSE English on entry although there can be exceptions. It is expected all students who need to re-sit either GCSE Maths or GCSE English achieve at the end of the course. Failure to do so will have an impact on employment as practitioners cannot practice at Level 3 standard if no GCSE grade 4 in Maths or English. The entry requirements needed to pass both the Certificate and Diploma element of the programme are the same i.e. the mandatory units, the external assessements CCE1 and DCE2 and the placement hours.
To achieve the Technical Level 3 Certificate in Childcare and Education learners must achieve a pass grade in the externally set assessment. All learners must achieve grades between 9 - 3 in seven mandatory units and complete recommended 365 hours within various placement settings. The recommended hours are to take place over two days a week and must be documented on college based paperwork.
Teaching and learning will take place through the use of practical and academic demonstrations and lectures within the classroom. The use of external settings such as visits as well as using guest speakers and incorporating the experiences gained within the practical settings are also part of the learning experience.
- Completion of assignments graded from 9 - 3
- Completion of CCE1 (Certificate controlled assessment)
- Completion of 365 placement hours
Award and Certificate
- Supervised Early Years role
Diploma - immediately:
- Early Years Educator
- Practitioner in Early Years Workforce
- Practitioner in reception classes in primary schools
- Progression to Higher Education
- Higher Education - students predominantly move to Primary Teaching, Youth Work, Psychology, Social Worker, Part time HE such as Supporting Teaching and Learning, Working with Children and Young People