This course is for those with limited or no experience of slinging/signalling who want to gain entry into the lifting industry (novice), experienced operators who require training (refresher) and experienced workers who do not require training (test only).
CSCS Health and Safety test passed no more than two years prior to the course start date.
- Gaining a basic understanding of the industry, the dangers of working in the industry and responsibilities as a slinger/signaller.
- Being able to conform to manufacturers requirements as per technical data, conform to relevant regulations and legislation.
- Being able to locate, identify and explain different types of lifting equipment and lifting accessories. Being able to explain their basic functions, uses, applications and their functions.
- Being able to interpret and extract information on all relevant documentation.
- Undertaking all pre-use checks on non-specialist lifting accessories and identifying non-serviceable items.
- Explaining procedures for placing non-serviceable items out-of-service.
- Identifying and explaining centres of gravity and calculating estimated weights of loads.
- Setting up exclusion zone explaining actions required for emergency actions, identifying any overhead hazards.
- Identifying and maintaining PPE appropriate for slinger/signaller use.
- Securing various types of loads to a hook using the relevant lifting accessories and procedures ensuring load balance, security and integrity.
- Directing and guiding the movement of loads to different types of location using different methods of communication.
- Environmental considerations.
- Carrying out all out-of-service and securing procedures.
Training includes a mix of classroom-based theory and practical activities.
NPORS/CSCS Plant Operator Card
As a partner card scheme of CSCS, the NPORS/CSCS Operator Card will now be issued in line with the requirements stipulated by BUILD UK and will display the CSCS logo. The NPORS/CSCS cards that are available:
Trained Operator Card (red) - this card remains valid for two years, during which the operator completes the relevant NVQ for the categories held on their card. Competent Operator Card (blue) - this card is only available to those operators who have achieved the relevant NVQ qualification for the categories held on their card.
Traditional NPORS Card
If the CSCS logo is not required on the NPORS Card, then the Traditional NPORS Card is also available. Upon successful completion of the training and assessment, the operator will receive a 5-year card, which is renewable. This card can be endorsed with a Health, Safety & Environmental test, if the operator has passed the relevant test within the last 2 year period. The card can still be awarded without the H,S&E logo, if the operator does not have this test.