This course targets those students who wish to prepare for a career in the construction (Bricklaying) industry, extending their previous experience, knowledge and skills, achieved during Level 1.
There are no entry requirements although Level 1 is preferred.
The content of this course covers a wide range of topics such as:
- Health & Safety
- Storage and Handling
- Communication Methods in the Construction Industry
- Estimating Material Quantities
- Knowledge of Building Technology
- Setting Out Masonry Structures
- Construction of Cavity Walls, Solid Walls, Arches and Timber Frame Cladding
The candidates will also undertake the relevant Functional Skills (English, Maths or IT).
A variety of assessment methods are used including assignments, portfolios of evidence, multiple-choice end tests, exams for functional skills, on-line tests and practical synoptic tests.
The course will prepare students for entry to the Diploma Level 3 in Bricklaying or progression to an apprenticeship if available.
Students will have the opportunity to participate in enrichment activities, visits and skills competitions.